Oiling an acne infested skin may seem strange, but oils actually help support the skin’s own oil regulation. Oils help balance the skin’s natural oil production as well as hydrate and maintain an optimal pH balance.
Commonly used oils are jojoba, olive, castor, coconut, sweet almond, and argan. Jojoba works for universal skin types, since it most closely resembles the properties of our naturally produced sebum by sweat glands. Drier skin require heavier oils that will hydrate all day, but acne prone skin which is usually oily needs oil that is light in consistency like almond, coconut and argan. For more info on skin care see my in-depth article here.
This is a method I use for cleansing my face. Also works as an effective make-up remover!
- Wash your hands.
- Lightly wet face with water.
- Put a small dime-sized dollop of oil (I love jojoba) on palms of hands and rub together to warm.
- Rub oil on face.
- Wet a washcloth with hot water and place on face.
- Wet a second washcloth with even hotter water (as warm as possible without being painful), and place it on top of the first.
- Hold in place for about 3-5 minutes, slowly rubbing skin.
- Repeat steps 5-7 for a deeper cleanse.
- If the skin feels dry, rub cleansing oil blend or oil of choice to moisturize.
- Watch as your skin gets healthier!