“Sea moss” can also refer to Gracilaria, a genus that represents 100-200 different species (out of the 7,000 species that comprise Rhodophyta, or red algae). It includes diverse species that grow in shades of red, purple, and greenish-yellow, including purple sea moss and Jamaican sea moss. These are found in different parts of the world, typically in warmer waters, such as the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, the Caribbean Sea, and the Indian Ocean.
This recipe infuses a pleasant flavor to add to the gelled texture of this unique and nourishing powerhouse, delivering vitamins E, K, A, potassium chloride for immune support and skin health benefits..
– 1/4 cup dried sea moss
– Fresh filtered water
– Optional sweeteners or flavorings: brown sugar, alternative sugar (like agave or maple syrup), or a keto pudding mix packet
1. Wash and Soak:
– Thoroughly rinse the dried sea moss to remove any impurities.
– Place the cleaned sea moss in a bowl and cover it with fresh filtered water.
– Allow it to soak for 12-24 hours. The sea moss will expand and become softer as it rehydrates.
– After rehydration, drain and rinse the sea moss once more to ensure it’s clean.
– Place the rehydrated sea moss in a blender.
– Add fresh filtered water in a 1:2 ratio, for example, if you have 1/4 cup of sea moss, add 1/2 cup of water. Adjust the water amount depending on your desired gel thickness.
– Blend the sea moss and water until you get a smooth, gel-like consistency. This may take a minute or two.
3. Optional Sweetening or Flavoring:
– Once the sea moss gel has gelled, you can customize it to your taste.
– Add sweeteners like brown sugar, alternative sugars (agave, maple syrup), or a keto pudding mix packet if you prefer a sweeter or flavored sea moss gel.
– Stir or blend in your chosen sweeteners or flavorings until well combined.
4. Optional Sweetening or Flavoring:
– Pour the blended sea moss gel into an airtight container or a glass jar.
– Seal the container and place it in the refrigerator for several hours (usually around 4-6 hours or overnight). This allows the sea moss gel to thicken and set.